Holiday marts have already begun popping up all over the country. They’re a long-standing tradition showcasing arts and crafts for purchase. If holiday marts are a common event at community locations in your public entity, you may want to consider purchasing TULIP to protect your exposures.
What is TULIP? TULIP, Tenant Users Liability Insurance Policy, is used by institutions such as a public entity permitting third parties to use their facilities for special events.
- Low Cost
Why should you consider TULIP for a holiday mart? Holiday marts are known to consist of hundreds of vendors and thousands of shoppers. With that being said, it is always a wise idea to consider additional coverage when a third party uses your facility for such an event.
Know the Risks: There are many factors that may impact the amount of coverage needed. Below are some things that may need to be considered when purchasing coverage for a holiday mart.
- Is the holiday mart being held inside or outside?
- Is additional parking needed?
- Are street closures necessary?
- Are police officers needed to direct traffic?
- It is common to include cocktail parties, pre-shopping events with alcohol and food vendors during holiday marts. If you choose to, you may need additional coverage.
- Do not neglect contracts with vendors.
- Will there be Santa photos?
- If TULIP isn’t the right route for your public entity, ensure you are prepared for any liabilities through contracts, hold harmless waivers, facility use rules and liquor liabilities. For more information, see the additional resources section below.
Does OneBeacon offer coverage for events? Yes, you can purchase or get a quote here.
Along with any event, risks are always present. Protect your public entity by taking the proper precautions to manage those liabilities.
Liquor Liability – OneBeacon Government Risks
Slip/Trip/Fall – OneBeacon Government Risks
Tenant Users Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP)
Event Planning – A good reference, especially for large or complex events; FEMA provides this PDF.
Signs and Weather Plan – When Thunder Roars Go Indoors
“The Specialized Risks of Special Events” – by Bradley York, Vice President Business Development/Marketing, OBGR
If you need assistance developing these programs, or would like additional information on the topics discussed in this article, please contact us at OBGRRiskControl@onebeacongov.com.
To learn more about OneBeacon Government Risks visit onebeacongov.com